Did you know that nearly one-third of Florida Tech’s on-campus students are from outside the United States, representing more than 100 nations? To give our international students a taste of home, the Panther Dining cafeteria regularly features food from around the world.
To bring that same joy of diversity to our Study Snacks series, we are featuring dishes that celebrate Florida Tech’s international students. Our fourth addition is Pipirrana, a refreshing and delicious Spanish potato salad. Popularized from the southern regions of Spain, this salad is nutritious and balanced, with acidity from olives, capers and lemon juice, and richness from the potatoes and peppers.
Whether you are preparing a traditional Spanish meal or want to shake up your Sunday barbecue, this recipe is flexible and easy to prepare, making it perfect for online students balancing many responsibilities. It yields about twelve 4-oz. portions.
- 1 lb. red potatoes
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 Roma tomatoes
- ¾ cup green olives drained
- 2 tbsp. capers drained
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 lemons
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 12 oz. fresh tuna
- Wash and dice potatoes into ¾” pieces. Place in a small pot with cold water to cover.
- Place over medium high heat and bring to a simmer for 10-14 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and cool immediately with cool water and ice. Drain and hold chilled.
- In a small bowl mix together garlic, zest and juice from 1 lemon, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and ¼ cup oil.
- Place tuna in marinade, coat well and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat grill or broiler on high.
- Cut peppers lengthwise and remove seed. Drizzle with a bit of oil to coat.
- Place tuna and peppers on grill or under broiler.
- Cook tuna for 2-3 minutes on 1 side, turn and then cook 1-2 minutes on the other side. Remove from heat; it should be medium rare to medium.
- Keep peppers on until they begin to char and blister, then remove from heat and cool.
- Dice the onion and peppers in ½” pieces.
- Dice the tomatoes and tuna in ¾” pieces.
- Place the potatoes, tomato, olive, onions, peppers, capers and tuna in a large bowl.
- Juice the remaining lemons over the items and add the remaining oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Toss lightly to coat and serve chilled.